Future Museums was a strategic programme supported by the Arts Council to lay the foundations for a new, more sustainable future for the Museums of Torbay.
The three accredited museums of Torbay, Torre Abbey, Torquay Museum and Brixham Heritage Museum worked in partnership to develop new and established audiences, implement new programmes across exhibitions, events and education. Future Museums incorporated review of strategic, business planning and operations. Over a two year and a half year period, key project areas included:
- Undertaking a strategic review of museum provision in Torbay including an options appraisal for future governance models and organisational resilience in Torbay to inform the wider work on the Torbay Cultural Strategy.
- Consolidating new membership schemes and IT and systems for Torbay Museums to improve efficiencies, financial controls and reporting.
- Developing a fund-raising strategy for Torbay Museums, including business membership and corporate hire schemes, on-line giving and campaigning.
- Implementing an environmental sustainability strategy, incorporating the use of renewable heating, energy generation and energy conservation.
- Developing an innovative 3 year programme for Torbay’s Museums in partnership with organisations across the South West, incorporating exhibitions, activities and events.
- Consulting with teachers and learners locally to carry out a qualitative study of teachers to examine how Torbay’s museums could support teaching and learning.
- Developing the Museums’ Geohub educational outreach programme for children and young people.
- Developing a cohort of volunteers to help deliver outreach and in-museum programmes, relating in particular to the Geopark.
- Developing digital resources, with a new unified web portal for all Torbay’s museums linking to the Torbay Tourism Company and Creative Torbay.